Saturday, February 23, 2013

So! You want to make a movie. Well so do I...


I’ve always entertained thoughts of making a movie, but never fully pursued it. This changed after discussing moviemaking aspects with Joops Fragale at 386 Films. He had directed The Guy Knows Everything (see my review HERE), a film that was offered a featured showcase screening at Sundance and more recently was voted Best Film Florida Flavor at the Love Your Shorts film Festival. Nonetheless, we briefly discussed a few film aspects, including location and editing software, and it set me to considering try my hand and eye at this.

Suddenly and automatically, while casually watching television and movies, I caught myself noticing the intricacies of soundtracks and camera angles. That’s when I decided to go full bore.

Well, a few days ago, I decided to give it a shot and asked him the type of camera he had used. Of course, being the novice I am and only being aware of those massive big budget type cameras you’ve probably seen before, the kind that runs on tracks and takes twelve people to move them, I was surprised at his answer…it was the Canon T2i.

Now, previously I had read a number of reviews and priced a number of different cameras during an arbitrary inquiring day, but never made an official decision. After seeing the quality and ability of that specific camera, as well as having a proven director put on his stamp of approval, it was inevitable that my next step would be a giant one.

So, I went out and bought the Canon EOS Rebel T3i and currently learning and exploring all its functions, which are too numerous to list here. However, a few specifics are 18.0 Megapixel, standard 10-55mm lens, 1080 full HD, 3.7 FPS (frames per second), a maneuverable LCD screen and weighs 18.2 oz. (minus lens of course). Of course, I also bought a few necessities too. Spare battery and memory card, tripod and a handy case to carry it all.

Well, lo and behold, my mostly better half became excited at the prospect too and surprised me with a 55-250mm telephoto zoom lens to go with it (God Bless her), and all I have to say is look out Steven Spielberg (ROTFL).

So, with a camera in place, I now need to explore video and sound editing software. From what I have read and in my humble novice opinion, Power Director seems the best, while a couple of friends suggested Sony Movie Studio. I’ve also had my eye on Magix Movie Edit Pro too. Trial versions here I come.

And then there is sound editing. Again, Magix makes a mixer that appears nice, and along with a number of others, Avid Pro Tools seems to be the best. Of course, price will dictate on both video and sound editors and until I test a couple of trials, I’m not purchasing.


Storyboarding is probably the most crucial preproduction any director wannabe can do. This gives you plenty of food for thought and will walk you through every scene of your movie. I’m no stranger to storyboards and have used them with my written tales. They are a fantastic way to think every scene through so not to miss essential aspects. Basically, simply a notepad will probably suffice; however, http://www.printablepaper.net/ has a free template one can print.

As far as all the technicials are concerned, this is probably the extent of my film making knowledge right now. But, I suspect that will only increase soon enough, especially since my next door neighbor is currently attending film school and has offered assistance.

What kind of movie am I going to make?

Well, it’s definitely going to be rated “R” and be a creepy little ditty of one of my tales. It’s called While You Sleep. Of course, I’m not going to give it away, but I will tell you that upon initial thought, most everyone will find the prospect more than a little unnerving and just plain terrifying.

While I’m sure there are many aspects yet to be discovered, this is where I’ve begun my potential film director life and it remains to be seen whether or not anything serious materializes. And, I’m treating it with the same old philosophy; all I can do is give it a shot (no pun intended). What’s the worst that could happen? I could fail and be left with some pretty nice camera equipment, which isn’t all that bad. But, if I succeed…


As far as writing this week, I’ve completed the third rewrite of chapter 2 of my novel A Lawnly Existence and wrote my next piece for Land of Shadow and Substance (my column at Horror News Net). I’ve also began my third piece of my Suspense Magazine series Interview with a Monster. With Frankenstein and Dracula already completed, this time it is Wolfman who I sit down to talk with…hopefully I stand back up in one piece. Heh Heh!

What I'm Reading





Creepy Links of the Week


Creepy Pics of the Week





Until next week ghouls,
Stay Scared,

Thomas

1 comment:

  1. Great news! Good luck. I've heard great things about the T3i and Power Director too. I'm sure you'll knock it outta the park, man!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment and remember fear is a good thing.

Stay Scared,
Thomas