Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Ebooks are great, but there's something to be said about holding a physical book.

Before I got the Kindle (I've had it now for about 6 months), I debated for quite some time whether I would actually like holding an electronic device over an actual book. Well, I decided to give it a try and I'm most happy I diid. Currently I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 books in it and my shelving is gaining valuable space as I swap out physical for eletronic. Now, this doesn't mean that I've given up entirely on the physical book, because I certainly have not and more times than not, I have picked up one or two or ten at a garage sale or a thrift store or a bookstore or... By the way, Goodwill is an excellent place to find cheap books. Anyways, I'm getting long winded, the prospect of losing the actual book troubled me before I purchased my Kindle and, although I thoughly enjoy my little piece of electronic word filled heaven, I still like holding an actual book too. Maybe it's the best of both worlds, I don't know.

So, today I ordered proof copies of both Twitch and The Daily Death from Create-A-Space. Don't get me wrong, I am proud to see my books in e-format available on Amazon, but I'm also looking forward to actually holding them too. This is my first venture with physical publishing and I've heard many good things about Create-A-Space too. The only major difference is that the physical book will cost considerably more than it's electronic counter part. After I receive them, I'll inspect and then either fix errors or make them available for distribution at $10.99 each.

And, since I've order 5 proofs of each, which is certainly overkill, I think maybe I'll give away one or two of each and suspect to offer a signed copy of each giveaway here too.

Currently, both are available in e-format
and I'll let you know when the physicals are ready.

Have a great week folks.

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly agree with you. I was over the moon when my book came out as an ebook, but I was over Jupiter and Saturn when I got to hold the print edition just after the new year. Nothing smells better than a new book, especially one that you poured your heart and soul into. Best of luck in 2012.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment and remember fear is a good thing.

Stay Scared,
Thomas